How to improve Customer Service
Customer service basics
While there is a multitude of customer need, five basics need to stand out:
1. Friendliness: The most basic and associated with courtesy and politeness.
2. Empathy: The customer needs to know that the service provider appreciates their wants and circumstances,
3. Fairness: The customers want to feel they receive adequate attention and reasonable answer.
4. Control: The customer wants to feel his/her wants and input has an influence on the outcome.
5. It is also very important for customer service employees to have information about their products and services. Service providers who answer” I don’t know” or ” It is not my department” are automatically demeaned and demoted in the mind of the customer.
Employees need to be empowered to satisfy customers. Employees will give bad service to customers if they themselves receive bad service and little feedback from their managers and supervisors.
[ Remember: External customer service starts with internal customer service.]
Delivery on time
[Customer service basics]
Every salesperson in every business knows the importance of making a positive first impression. Salespeople know their success and livelihood will depend on how their potential customer perceives them in the first 30 seconds interaction.
Good salespeople develop an almost instantaneous rapport with potential customers. Customers like them, follow their advice, and buy their product.
The elements of customer services
1. Expanding your definition of services
2. Identifying your customers
3. Developing a customer-friendly approach
Customer service means providing quality services or products that satisfy the needs of a customer and keep them coming back.
Good customer services mean much more- it means continued success, increased profits, higher satisfaction, improved company or organization morale, better teamwork, and market expansion of services/products.
Think about the places where you enjoy doing the business- stores, petrol stations, suppliers, banks, etc. Why, aside from actual products or services they provide, do you like doing business with them?
You probably find them courteous, timely, flexible, friendly, interested, and a series of other exemplary qualities. They do not only satisfy your needs and help in your endeavors but make you feel positive and satisfied. You come to rely on their level of service to meet your needs and wants.
On the other hand, let’s review a business you dislike patronizing but do so out of necessity. Maybe it is the police when you need a new driver’s license or maybe it is the local store that carries a product you need but who offers lousy service when you purchase.
In the booth of these places, it’s likely that the customer experience is marred by long lines, gruff service, inefficient processing, impolite and unfriendly clerks or salespeople, lack of flexibility, and no empathy for customer plight. In this case, you feel abused, unsatisfied, and taken advantage of – in essence, your experience is wholly negative.
Unfortunately, in the cases outlined above, there is no competition for the services/products offered or you would gladly not consider using either the Ministry of Transport or the rude department store. This is the advantage of a monopoly on a good or service because in a competitive marketplace, the unsatisfied customer shops elsewhere.
Professional qualities in customer service:
Professionals who constantly deal with customers(inside and outside the company) need to strive for certain qualities to help them answer customer needs.
The professional qualities of customer service to be emphasized always relate to the customer’s wants.
Impressions in Customer Services
As the old saying goes, ” You will never get a second chance to make a first impression. ” This is why the first impression is extremely important and can set the tone for all future transactions.
Here are some ways of creating positive impressions:
1. Thoughtfulness in meeting the customer’s needs
2. Personal responsibility for a customer
3. Quick problem solving for the customer
4. Offering immediate assistance
6. Using Customer’s name in a conversation
7. Pleasant voice tone
8. Polite and courteous manners
10. A genuine smile